Nursing Program Requirements
Program admission occurs once a year in fall term.
The application deadline is February 15 or the first business day thereafter. Students are eligible to be considered for admission to the nursing program after completing 30 credit hours of courses from the Required Prerequisite courses listed below. The 30 credits must include BIO 231 Anatomy and Physiology I and MTH 095 (or higher) by the application deadline. All required prerequisite course must be completed with a C or better. Before in enrolling in nursing courses, students must complete all 45 credits of prerequisite courses by the end of first session of summer term of the year they will enter the program and must be accepted into the nursing program.
Prerequisites/Required Preparatory Courses
CREDITS Course No. Course Title
4 BIOL101 Gen. Biology I w/lab3 or College Biology
4 BIOL231 Human Anatomy & Physiology w/lab (1)
4 BIOL232 Human Anatomy & Physiology w/lab
4 BIOL233 Human Anatomy & Physiology w/lab
4 BIOL234 Microbiology w/lab (2)
5 MATH095 Intermediate Algebra or higher level math (1)
4 FNUT225 Nutrition
3 PSY201 General Psychology
4 PSY237 Seasons of Life
3 WR121 English Composition
3 WR122 English Composition
3 WR123 Technical Writing (3)
45 Credits Total
(1) Classes that must be completed by application deadline to be eligible
(2) Must be completed by the end of the first term of the nursing program
(3) Required before entering into the 2nd yr. of the nursing program
Admissions Point System
Eligible applicants will be assessed according to the following point system:
Type of Points
|Nursing Pre-Requisite GPA (GPA X 24) - 56 = Points||40|
|Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2 or||3|
|Completion of Anatomy and Physiology Series||5|
|Completion of 37-47 Pre-Requisite Credits or||3|
|Completion of all 48 Pre-Requisite Credits||5|
|TVCC's Discretionary Points|
|CNA or other Health Care Certification; EMT, CMA (Certified Medical Assistant), Surgical
Tech, LPN, Paramedic with documented patient care hours (post-certification):
>400 practice hours = 6 points
300-399 practice hours = 5 points
200-299 practice hours = 4 points
100-199 practice hours = 3 points
0-99 practice hours = 2 points
|Pre-Nursing Test: Overall Scores
Scores between 81-89%
Scores between 73-80%
Scores between 67-72%
- Nursing Pre-Requisite GPA: A maximum of 40 points will be awarded. All nursing pre-requisite courses for the application must be earned with a letter grade of "C" or better - and - applicant must have a pre-program GPA of 3.0 or higher with completed nursing pre-requisite courses.
- Completed full sequence of Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of "C" or better will be awarded 5 additional points. Completion of Anatomy and Physiology 1 & 2 with a grade of "C" or better will be awarded 3 points.
- Prior degree: Applicants who hold a prior degree, Associates or higher, will be awarded 1 point.
- Completion of all pre-requisites: 5 points will be awarded if all pre-requisites classes have been completed by the end of fall term prior to application as determined by submission of official transcripts. 3 points will be awarded for 37-47 pre-requisite credits completed by the end of the fall term prior to application. Courses that must be completed to be eligible for the 3 points include Biology 101 or 211, Biology 231 and 232, Writing 121, 122, and 123, Psychology 201 and 237, Math 95 or higher (the higher math test will only be accepted if it was compassed into), and Nutrition.
- Discretionary Points (Maximum of 19):
a. Health care certification in Idaho or Oregon will be awarded up to 6 points based on documented post-certification patient care hours.
b. Applicants with residency within Malheur County or within 30 fly miles of the college will be awarded 8 points.
c. Performance on Kaplan Pre-Nursing test for those scoring above the 50th percentile in the Overall Score. 5, 3, or 1 Point will be awarded accordingly.
- Proctored Essay/Interview: Students who are invited to the proctored essay and interview
will be awarded a maximum of 30 points. Essay questions may include situations of:
b. Personal Values
d. Motivational Fitness
e. Tolerance for Stress
- In the event of a tie for total points, the applicant with the highest pre-requisite GPA (points) will break the tie.
TVCC and OCNE reserve the right to change or update the areas to be assessed as necessary.
Kaplan Pre-Nursing Testing
In order to be considered for admittance into the program, the nursing department must receive the results of the Kaplan Pre-Nursing scores by the application deadline, February 16, 2015.
Kaplan Pre-Nursing score needs to be above the 50th percentile in the "overall correct". The "overall correct" score is the number that we will utilize on the First Year score sheet for application.
Students who score above the 50th percentile may choose to take the test once more. The highest score will be used to generate the Pre-Nursing Test points on the student's application.
Kaplan Study Guide, Kaplan Nursing School Entrance Exams: Your Complete Guide to Getting into Nursing School is available in the TVCC Bookstore, Kaplan website, or Amazon.com.
The nursing department offers the test Fall and Winter quarters. The winter quarter test date will be offered before February 15th, which is when the application for the program is due. The cost for the test is $35.00 (non-refundable) paid by money order to TVCC Nursing. Money is due the week before the test. Please bring your money order to the Nursing Department secretary located at the Ontario Campus.
The Kaplan Pre-Nursing test is administered in the Nursing Department's computer lab, WTC 3. The test administration may be arranged at a local testing center for those individuals not located in the Ontario area.
The test is schedule for a 3 hour block of time. The potential applicant is provided a user name and password. Once inside the Kaplan Pre-Nursing examination there is a short pre-test provided. Each section of the test is timed by Kaplan and the 3 hours overall is sufficient to complete the test. The test covers the subjects of Math, Science, Reading, Writing, and Critical Thinking. The Kaplan program provides a calculator during the test.
For further information, call the nursing department, 881-5940. TVCC reserves the right to change requirements without notice.
Admission to Treasure Valley Community College does not guarantee admission to the nursing program.
*Refer to "Technical Standards for Nursing" (website).
NOTE: It is the policy of the Treasure Valley Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the grounds of race, color, sex, marital status, religion, national origin, age or disability in any educational programs, activities or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and non-discrimination should contact the Human Resources Director located in the Student Services Center on the south side of the Four Rivers Cultural Center Building. Telephone (541) 881-5835.
Post-Acceptance Admission Requirements
All admitted TVCC Nursing Students must meet the following requirements before they can begin any Nursing courses:
- Return "Intention to Enroll" form to the Nursing department.
- Attend Mandatory Orientation. Students will be informed of orientation date, time, and location in their acceptance letter.
- Submit Physical Examination form completed by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner*.
- Successfully complete any outstanding nursing pre-requisite course with a grade "C" or better.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check through the agency designated by TVCC*.
- Successfully pass a urine drug screen through the agency designated by TVCC*.
- Submit proof of current immunizations*.
- Submit proof of current CPR for Health Care Providers certification from the American Heart Association*.
*Applicants should not pursue meeting these requirements prior to being admitted into the nursing program. Admitted students will receive specific directions from TVCC's Nursing department on how to fulfill these requirements.
Still have questions? Contact Us, and a member of our nursing department staff will be happy to assist you.