Nursing Assistant Courses
The program, approved by the Oregon State Board of Nursing, is designed to prepare the graduate for entry-level employment as a Nursing Assistant Level 1, which is required for employment in the State of Oregon. State certification through Oregon State Board of Nursing must be obtained after the course is completed. A state-administered test is provided at TVCC on a periodic schedule throughout the year.
- Opportunity for employment readily available
- Over minimum wage
- All states require State certification
- Introduction to the health care field - aids in making career decisions
- Provides employment while pursuing career advancement in LPN and RN educational programs
- This knowledge can be applied to everyday living
Topics covered include:
- Interpersonal Relationships (nursing assistant-patient and family and staff).
- Growth and Development throughout the life cycle
- Cultural Aspects
- Legal/Ethical Aspects
- Medical and Nursing Terminology
- General Patient Care:
- Patient bathing
- Taking and recording vital signs
- Feeding patients
- Infection control
- Caring for patient's personal needs.
Program Entrance Requirements
- Complete and submit application form to the nursing department.
- Documentation of successful completion of background check and drug screen urinalysis through American Databank: https://treasurevalley.applicantcompliance.com
- Proof of a current AHA Health Care Provider CPR card.
- Proof of current health care insurance.
- Complete one of the following:
- Provide High School Diploma or GED (desirable)
- Provide College transcript with Writing 121 completed and passed with a "C" or better.
- Complete reading test and score 55 or above.
- Pass the PreNA class with an 85% or higher. Contact the Testing Center for hours at 541-881-5799.
Accepted students must pass both a physical and a criminal background check.
Costs are estimated and subject to change without notice.
- In State: $650
- Out of state: $700
- Books: $72
- CPR Class: $50
- Fingerprinting: $33
- Physical: $45
- Uniform: Caribbean Blue Scrubs, white leather shoes: $50 - $70
- Gait Belt: $10
- Watch with second hand (Digital with seconds clock also acceptable): $25
- Background check and drug screen urinalysis ($96)
- State Certifying Test: $106
Note: The student is responsible for their own health and insurance expenses. Neither Treasure Valley Community College nor the clinical agency is responsible for illness or accident costs while a student.
Financial Assistance may be available.